Thursday 3 September 2009

Punishment for Father

As you can see from the date next to my signature, "Punishment for Father" is a rather old drawing. I still find it very hot. It was actually conceived as an illustration for a novel I only ever wrote the first paragraphs of.

It was also one of my few drawings to be published. And no, I don't mean online publishing, I mean real honest-to-goodness paper publishing. That was in Projet X 39 (April 1999), which had a portfolio of four of my drawings.

That was kind of a strange experience. On the plus side, at last I was being published in a French gay mag (my attempts at having my more vanilla drawings published in the weekly Gai Pied Hebdo in the late 1980s having being a dismal failure - they only wanted young muscular guys, you see). On the minus side, the editor of Projet X felt the need to ask for his readers' "open mindedness" for my "fully mature forces of nature" in the issue's editorial. And that just after he was asking them to be open minded about scatology. It felt kind of weird to learn that to some people, being interested in mature and older men was akin to eating shit. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

No comments:

Post a Comment