Tuesday 26 January 2010

Basement Bound

I like the idea of a man bound in a basement. In English, the word "dungeon" is used for an underground place where dark deeds are done. In my native French, a "donjon" is a kind of tower, so the idea of an underground place gets kind of lost. I cannot get rid of that association entirely, so I'd rather use another word than "dungeon" for a secret underground place. And I really like "basement". It's such an ordinary word - there are basement flats, all kinds of buildings have basements. Very often, we keep things we don't use anymore but don't want to throw away in the basement. It's a place where people seldom go. So it's a good place to keep a mature man prisoner, bound and gagged. What will be his fate, I wonder... Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment