Thursday 1 September 2011

Dr Faustus gets his comeuppance

I must admit I never cared too much for Dr Faustus when I first discovered him in the pages of Captain America 161-162. He was a villain using pop psychiatry against super-heroes, and as such was always a nattily dressed big, bulky man, but artist Sal Buscema made him far too teutonic for him to be hot. I can't say I remember anything about Dr Faustus' next apperance in Captain America 192, drawn by Frank Robbins (an excellent artist, but not known for his sexy bodies, male or female). And then came Amazing Spider-Man 170 and I looked at the good doctor in a whole new light. Artist Ross Andru made Dr Faustus into a real bear of a man (emphasising the fact that he'd only been seen in silhouette the issue before, and that was a red herring to make readers think that the bulky villain was Spidey's arch-nemesis the Kingpin). Whatever the reasons, Dr Faustus never looked better, I thought. Of course, the fact that he always wore a suit and tie made him even sexier.
And lo and behold! At the end of the story, Spider-Man left Dr Faustus in a hogtie! That was real hot!
Unfortunately, when one looks very closely at the image of the hogtied Dr Faustus, one realizes that his legs must be very, very long. Still, Ross Andru manages to make that improbable anatomy look convincing. Too bad the good doctor didn't get more time tied up, but then again, villains rarely do, in comics.

9 comments:

  1. Bulky guys like Dr Faustus look so damn sexy when they're hogtied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't they, though? And hasn't Spider-Man, with his webbing, got the perfect excuse to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never forget Sgt. Harvey Bullock, the sexy bulky cop in Batman comics, looked so damn hot and sexy when he was at the mercy of Poison Ivy. With his wrists tied behind him and his ankles tethered together with tough, rough vine he looked so much sexier than Batman himself! His shirt was unbuttoned, revealing his hairy chest! And it was so bloody erotic because Poison Ivy runs her fingertips over his nose, lips....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a lot of Batman comics but I must definitely investigate into them, as Commissioner Gordon seems to have got tied up quite a lot over the years. And thanks for reminding me of Harvey Bullock. He's another hot one in Batman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike Superman, Batman often found himself tied up in various ways.I'd collected a trunk full of his comics. In one of those was the one where Harvey Bullock's at the mercy of Poison Ivy. I also collected 'Garth' comics. A massive muscle mammoth who was often tied up by those lucky baddies! Tarzan was another hunk who frequently endured bondage. And...GROAN!...that super sexy giant---CONAN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The younger set like Garth, Tarzan and Conan, are not exactly my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are blogs or groups collecting images of those guys in bondage. Or if not, you could create one !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you visited www.ebith.com? Beefy bulky hairy guys in exquisitely agonizing bondage! It's Japanese by the way, but what the heck?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only do I know the blog but I've got a few of the man's books in Japanese. His full name is Ebisubashi (sometimes trnascribed as Seizou Yebisubash) and you can order his books from rainbow-shoppers site (www.rainbow-shoppers.com, then look under "comic", then "bakudan comic".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! I love bondage drawings done by Japanese artists. Very imaginative agonizing bondage!

    ReplyDelete