Wednesday 3 November 2010

Odin's feeling mighty Thor... er, sore


OMG! Has it been that long since my last entry? Sorry, folks! What can I say except "I've been busy"? But aren't we all? It's probably a sign of encroaching age that I can't find the time to put images on this 'ere fine blog.
Today's image is another such sign. I bought this comic a few months ago in London (note the cover price - yes, it's a British edition) thinking "Oh, that's one issue of Thor from the period when I was already buying American comics but not that particular series. And it's got this neat drawing of Odin barechested and in chains. Lovely!" (Yes, those are the kind of thoughts I think.) Of course, it turned out I had bought a copy of this comic back in 1973 and had quite forgotten about it... until I looked in my comic book collection. How strange! How could I forget? And how could this comic have failed to catch my attention back then, when I was starting to feel... er... how can I put it? when I was starting to feel very interested in mature and older men with moustaches or beards. In fact, it was the fascination I felt for a few panels from a comic published in 1973 or 74 which made me become aware of the fact (more on that someday).
Maybe Thor 212 was pre-awareness. And I must say that in the story proper, Odin doesn't look as good as he does on the cover. But then again, that cover was drawn by Gil Kane, who could make even a spaceship look sexy.




No comments:

Post a Comment